Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Yesterday . . .

I was feeling pretty down last night, but then several things happened to cheer me up. My friend Chrissy and her three-year-old daughter, Kate, came over to visit me last night and brought me some cookies. Then I ran to pickup my guitar. My dad was helping a woman in his ward move and she was giving away a free guitar so he saved it for me and it's actually fairly nice, it just needed some new strings so I was having it restrung. Then Larry found a box of books that I've been missing (How have been living without The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog by Mo Willems and There's an Alligator Under My Bed by Mercer Mayer?) And as if all of that wasn't enough, then Larry decided to give me one of my birthday presents early. My birthday is still a month away and Larry can be a last minute shopper so I was surprised that he had a birthday gift for me yet this early. He pulled it out and it was . . .

GIGANTIC PICKUP STICKS! So random, but it really made me laugh. About when I met Larry during my Sophomore year of college, my roommate Megan was having an awful day and just as she was telling me about all of the things that went wrong, she opened a cupboard and dry spaghetti noodles spilled out all over the kitchen floor. I thought she was going to cry so I told her that it was ok, now we just had an excuse to play pickup sticks so we swept them up into a pile and began to play. It became an apartment tradition that I almost forgot about. Eventually we did get real pickup sticks because it's a lot more difficult to play with noodles. Oh the fun we would have had with gigantic pickup sticks! I'll have to post a picture of one of my college pickup stick matches later.

No comments: