Thursday, December 11, 2008

I want to be the kind of mom who . . .

Oh, we are overdue for one of these posts because I have all sorts of good ideas stored up to share with you.

I want to be the kind of mom who continues to put together my kids Halloween costumes (preferably characters from our favorite books).  I am completely in love with this Max, The King of All Wild Things costume that Denise Sharp made.
I want to be the kind of mom who assigns chores to each of the kids and teaches them to work a bit.  I love this simple idea from Martha Stewart for a chore chart (spotted on Stephmodo)
I want to be the kind of mom who helps her kids see all the creative possibilities in simple things like white paper.  I think I need to make Creed a Santa Beard like this one also made by Denise Sharp, don't you?
I want to be the kind of mom that helps my kids become responsible for themselves and enables them to do small tasks on their own.  I love this idea for a hand-drawn packing list to help your kids pack before a trip.
I want to be the kind of mom that sends my kinds off with cute accessories that help them stand out from the crowd.  I love this darling backpack with Percival the Dinosaur.  I can already see her the conversation, "Why would you want a Diego backpack?  EVERYONE has a Diego backpack.  Don't you want to be different?"
Or what about a little scarf/tie like this.  It seems like I've seen it on a million blogs, but I love it so much I had to post it too.
I want to be the kind of mom who reads beautifully designed, free online magazines for parents that feature creative, high-quality products for kids like LMNOP and Small.  Oh wait, I already am! (Ok, maybe I'm stretching things a bit on that one, but I wanted to share the links with you in case you haven't come across them).
I want to be the kind of mom who seeks out really cool toys for my kids.  Did you know that you can design your very own Muppet through FAO Swartz?  I think that would be the coolest kids' gift ever!
And When I was little I would have gone crazy over a princess and the Pea doll like this (who are we kidding, I'm still going crazy over it!)
I want to be the kind of mom who designs whimsical bedrooms for my kids that are all about what they enjoy, but still manage to be beautiful places that both of us would love to spend time.  Check out this amazing little girl's bedroom
I want to be the kind of mom that makes amazing original clothes for my kids.  I know that I've said that before, and I'm not much of a clothing seamstress so it's not likely to happen, but how could I resist the chance to show you this little red coat?  It's one of the the many items that the mom behind Grosgrain has created and given away.  Seriously, she does this about once a week and all the clothes that she makes are amazing!  You have to check it out.
And of course, I also still want ot be the kind of mom who makes a least one homemade gift for special occasions like birthdays and Christmas. For example this is such a cute Snail Racing game.  
And I am absolutely IN LOVE with the idea of making a quilt like this one from the creator of A Small Object.  She wrote a letter to her niece and used the service Spoonflower to print in on fabric for her quilt (Their prices are expensive (I think around $18/yard) so I've been looking for a project special enough to warrant designing my own fabric and this is it!)
I have more links saved, but I have to get on with my holiday projects so I hope that you enjoyed these.

3 comments:

L.R.L said...

oooo, I like these posts.

Anonymous said...

I second this post, except for the sewing stuff (I made square pillows once that looked like kidneys). I want my baby to know he is the most LOVED child in the world!

TX Girl said...

Steph-
I have to say, that these are my favorite kind of posts. Such fantastic ides and whatnot.