Monday, April 06, 2009

Holi

Oh, I am behind on blogging.  We've had exciting times around here that I haven't even had a chance to tell you about yet.  Last weekend we headed to Holi, The Festival of Colors, an Indian tradition that announces the arrival of spring.  Basically there's a bonfire and you throw colors on each other and dance and sing. It's just a big cheerful, colorful crowd and it was as fun as you'd imagine.

There's a Krishna Temple in Spanish Fork that holds a big Holi festival every year.  Luckily it's just blocks from Tyler's house so we met up with Tyler, Lisa, and their niece Ruby to park at Tyler's parents who gave us a lift to to festival.

We stocked up on dried colors to throw (it's like ground up chalk with Indian perfume in it)
And here's our before photo from the top of the krishna temple (we managed to find Larry's cousin Nick in the crowd)
We made it down just time for the fun to start.  This is a photo Larry took in the midst of the fun (this is exactly why I'm still finding pink dust in my ears)
A photo of the crowd
and the aftermath
My parents made it there in time to get coated with colors and I didn't get one photo of them!  Just imagine their happy, color-coated faces here too!  We've all vowed to go again next year so hopefully I'll get photos of them then.

8 comments:

Nikki said...

That looks like a blast!

Bryt, Liz (Ed), and Ellie Christensen said...

My parents live in Woodland Hills (by spanish fork- you turn right by the temple) so I was on my way to there house right as the festivities were ending. It looked very fun but I was mostly irritated that I had to sit in traffic for 45 minutes waiting to turn. But glad you had fun- We need to go next year too!

Kelli Radmall said...

Awesome! How did I not know about this activity? Does that stuff come out of your clothes ok?
p.s. I LOVE that shelf your dad made, I have been wanting a shelf like that for a while and I think I remember seeing it at Pottery Barn too. LOVE it. Bishop is such a talented and kin man.

Kelli Radmall said...

kind

Reba said...

I thought you looked pinker than I remembered you :) Thanks again for the fun visit--It's always good to see you!

WendyandGabe said...

I wish I had known about this! I have always wanted to celebrate Holi. Looks like a blast.

TX Girl said...

We have some friends living in India right now and they also celebrated Holi. It looks like a fun event. I'll have to look out for a chance to celebrate in my town.

Brooke said...

How do you find out about all these great events????? I've lived in Utah most of my life and have never heard of half the things you do.
This looks like so much fun :)